Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Tourist in my own country

Just the week before last I went to Delhi on a work trip.
I've been to Delhi zillions of times. Okay not zillions, just many many times. But this time it was different. I had a new found love for our country. And for tea. Had some wonderful cutting chai on the streets as well as some yum adrak wali chai (ginger flavored tea) made by the caretaker in my guest house :)


Why, one might think have I suddenly find awe in the mundane... Well for starters... We(Viv and I) did a mini Euro tour in September... Four cities. Wonderful cities. And that's where my tourism began. We absorbed the beauty, design and every inspired nook and corner of the cities like sponges. Also, these countries market their cities really well! Every just about every stone and pillar was a monument. We obviously didn't fall for the stones and pillars, well maybe a few :P And all I could think was, I wish I could do something like this for India.

So, when in Delhi, I was really amazed. It's the most fabulous city of India, if I may say so.
It's huge, has got wonderful infrastructure, and some very well-developed fashion catchment areas. More about fashion later, but what really got me was the city itself... Spacious, modern India and hmmm surprisingly amazing weather :)
Here are some pics of me being a complete tourist...
 The beautiful Qutub Minar.
















This is just a glimpse of what I saw, but this made me really proud. And happy. And nostalgic. I have probably been to the Qutub once with my family as a kid and then once with my college friends as a teenager :) And this time as a (ahem) grown-up :P




Where else would you find the coolest garbage bin in a National Monument, other than India? :)
Yay for India. And yay for my new love of tourism, thank you Europe!







4 comments:

  1. I loveee it Pritz!! Love the way you have expressed yourself about tourism. Tourism surely makes one positive that's great to read about! Very cool photography :) waiting for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. And even though I dislike Delhi, I can't say I disagree with you coz the things you've expressed are real and very 'hope-giving' :). Having said that, you know where your next Euro-trip has to be based, right ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice on it! A thorough holiday that opened your mind to things that were already there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a beautiful sentiment..! You're so right..sometimes you have to step outside your routine to truly appreciate the beauty of what we sometimes assume to be the mundane!

    ReplyDelete